[WikiEN-l] Zero information is preferred to misleading or false information

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri May 19 15:45:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 10:24:30 +0200, you wrote:

>Yes. And this is what we used to do before {{fact}} or its synonyms
>became widespread. I think that, because {{fact}} is so easy to tag
>onto something, the practice of moving dubious claims may have
>decreased somewhat in favor of tagging them.  What can we practically
>do to change this? I think policy alone will not be sufficient, given
>how ubiquitous {{fact}} has already become.

I believe it is worse than that: there is a view among many editors
that nothing should be removed unless it can be *proven* false, which
is completely the wrong way round, whether it be for a living person
or not. There is also a widespread view that a large number of Google
hits equals verifiability.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk