[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat May 13 14:22:28 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure we should be *encouraging* Chinese citizens to break any
> > laws, but I'm fully behind supporting those that choose to do so.
> >
> > As for bad publicity for the Foundation, I'm not a member of the
> > Foundation and never made any claim to speak for them (not that I
> > accept that it would be bad publicity, mind you).  I do feel that this
> > discussion is "beyond the scope of this mailing list" though.  If
> > you'd prefer to send any responses to me off-list, please do so.
> > Another place you can reach me is at
> > http://jnanabase.org/index.php/User_talk:Anthony, although I don't log
> > on there as often as I used to.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> Actually I believe it was you who brought this up on the mailing list
> Anthony,although I do agree that this is not a matter which is within
> the scope of this list. I must however mention here that you claim the
> Chinese citizens are being *oppressed* by their Governemnt. I,
> personally, also feel the same way, but then let us not forget that
> these policies are put in place by an elected Government-perhaps for
> legitimate reasons- and the said laws are a part of China's internal
> affairs. So for us to pass judgement on this matter would not be
> entirely fair-since we are both citizens of other countries.

I don't feel that even a majority of individuals in a particular
geographic location have the right to oppress other individuals (which
is not to say that I believe a majority of individuals in China *do*
agree with this particular oppression).  And yes, putting people in
jail for speaking out truths which others want to suppress qualifies
as oppression in my opinion.

The fact that I live in a different geographic location than these
others is not in my opinion relevant, except to the extent that it
means that I am most likely out of the reach of the oppressors in
question.  I am a citizen of the universe.  All else has been thrust
upon me without my consent.

Anthony