[WikiEN-l] Wikiparazzi (was Re: We need to recognize that advocating is a basic right)

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri May 5 23:53:27 UTC 2006

Philip Welch wrote:

>Incidentally, why don't we have free-content paparazzi tracking down
>celebrities to take pictures for Wikipedia articles?

What makes you think we don't? There are indeed a handful of
contributors who've taken pictures of celebrities; unlike
paparazzi, we have the advantage that we typically want to
get them looking at their best, such as at public appearances,
and at those times celebrities are happy, nay eager, to smile
for our cameras.

We apparently have many slacker editors - not only do they not
bestir themselves to photograph celebrities at local shopping mall
appearances, but they would rather upload a copyvio image of their
*own* *school* while *sitting* *inside* it, rather than get out
of their chairs, go outside, and take a picture with their *own*
*cellphone* *cameras*. Now that's lazy!

Stan