[WikiEN-l] Offline submissions?

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 19:42:33 UTC 2006

While this sounds like a nice, lofty, all-inclusive notion -- the sort
which would be popular amongst white, male, technically-inclided,
middle class, intellectual-pursuing English speakers -- I'm not so
sure it would be worth the trouble to establish an infrastructure to
accomodate it.

How are these participants supposed to know about Wikipedia, much less
be able to read it and integrate their content into it in a useful
way? How are we supposed to solicit their contributions? Do we have
evidence that this is actually a problem that needs to be solved in a
systematic way? Is this a problem looking for a solution or a solution
looking for a problem?

I'm all for inclusivity and being aware of our biases and trying to
encourage working around them.* I'm not sure this is really the best
use of our (human) resources. I'll be frank and say it sounds a little
half-baked to me.

FF

*I'll also say that I think the idea that content is necessarily
determined by the demographics of your contributors is also a bit too
reductionist, and mimics some of the really tragic movements in
academia in the 1960s and 1970s which let in a lot of really bad
scholarship and really wooly thinking under the banner of inclusivity.
I think we should always take care to judge our contributors on the
quality of what they actually produce, not on who they are as
individuals or groups.