[WikiEN-l] Exit Interview -- Jon Awbrey

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Fri Jun 30 16:40:03 UTC 2006

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Rob wrote:

> On 6/30/06, Jon Awbrey <jawbrey at att.net> wrote:
>
> > The quotation is from Max Fisch, a premier Peirce scholar.
> > It was was added by another editor late in 2005.  It makes
> > an important observation, it is relevant, and sourced.  The
> > justification that LogicMan gives is partly speculative POV
> > and partly false, as the same point is not made just below it.
> > At any rate, there was no real discussion of its pertinence, and
> > no attempt to arrive at anything approaching a local consensus.
>
> Was this block quote really necessary?  Why can't we just say "Peirce
> was primarily known as a scientist during his lifetime" and be done
> with it?  And what's the big deal?  Either way this argument goes, the
> outcome is relatively insignificant and the article as a whole won't
> be affected much.

It is of course possible to discuss the relative importance,
the proper format, and the proper length of any article content.
There are several WP guidelines and heuristics that recommend how
to go about doing that in different circumstances.  Like any set
of guidelines and heuristics they aren't a consistent axiom system,
but live in tension with each other, from Be Bold! to Don't Be A Dick!,
and thus they require common sense, good judgment, and attention to the
details of the ongoing situation in order to be applied with good results.

But it's not my present task to delve into content issues.
The issue at hand is whether the Highesy Priority Policies
of WP are being followed in each case, or whether they are
being superseded by Lower Priority Guidelines, or worse yet,
altogether subverted by cynical mockeries of WP procedures.

The fact is that good faith contributions by previous editors were not being
respected, worked with, and modified, if need be, in the recommended manner,
but simply being deleted wholesale under the guise of a "consensus" that
was ever being declared by a small (but mysteriously growing) number of
editors, with no real attempt at discussion except among themselves.

Jon Awbrey

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Jon_Awbrey