[WikiEN-l] Exit Interview -- Jon Awbrey

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Fri Jun 30 02:26:53 UTC 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
> of what is here nomenclated as "De Facto Consensus" (DFC).  DFC must
> not be confused
> with Genuine Consensus -- defined as the absence of dissent -- DFC as
> it's currently
> observed in WP means that any three users, or evatars, coming to
> agreement in a half
> hour period, can impose their absolute dictatorship over the direction
> of an article.
Ah!  This is more specific.  And I don't even particularly dispute your
claim that a preference for DFC exists, or even that such a preference
is a problem, although I do think you exaggerate the degree of the
problem.

The questions are - what is an alternative to DFC , why is DFC
preferred, and what can we do about that preference? (either within
Wikipedia, or in a fork of Wikipedia).  I will attempt to answer the
first question below, and leave the others to later.

What is an alternative to DFC?

"Genuine Consensus" is not possible; since the editing pool for
Wikipedia is theoretically unlimited, we can never be sure that
everyone who could edit an article does not disagree.  However, we
could require that any changes to an article be proposed before being
done and make sure that anyone who states a disagreement with the
proposed changes within a given period (anywhere from a half hour to
one month) changes their mind or the changes cannot be made.  A
disadvantage of this is that any article which a crackpot decided to
take an interest in would be impossible to change until the crackpot
decided to leave.  This proposal would strongly change the wiki quality
of Wikipedia, so it probably would be necessary to attempt this in a
fork.

It would also be possible to require that any changes to an article
which were objected to, by anyone, at any time, even long after they
were first entered, would be able to be removed, and could only be
re-entered if that person removed their objections.  A disadvantage of
this is that material could be removed, and be unable to be re-entered,
by someone objecting and then refusing to communicate further.  This
could lead to massive sections of the 'pedia being permanently removed.
  This also would have to be attempted in a fork.

Another possibility is to require a larger, but specific, number of
user accounts (with all the sockpuppeting issues that entails) to
determine the inclusion or removal of a given section of text.

I would be very curious to hear Mr. Awbrey's preference for an
alternative, either one of the ones above, or another one I have not
mentioned.

Jesse Weinstein