[WikiEN-l] suck it wiki

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 07:48:27 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we don't screen posts before they go to the list, that would
> explain why we've getting an incredible amount of trollish edits by
> the likes of Rgulerdem over the past month or so.  However it doesn't
> explain why we *don't* get loads of off-topic borderline spam.

Posts from people who are not subscribed do not, by default, make it
through to the list. That knocks out all spam instantly. Occasionally
some legitimate posts are made in this fashion, and if we're on our
toes, we notice them and let them through, but probably a goodly
number get wiped. The list gets a hundred or more spam messages a
day...

Also, all subscribed users start out moderated, but are usually taken
off after their first message.

> Clearly there is some moderation, and the moderators are awake.  But
> their standards over the past month or so have been, to say the least,
> somewhat catholic.  To the extent that I wonder why we bother running
> this list any more.  The good discussion is being relentlessly drowned
> out by idiocy.

I don't presume to set the standards for discussion, I only enforce
them. IMHO, it is up to people on this list to decide the standards
and tell others when it's time to drop a subject, or to ask people to
stop responding to trolls. Also, we do tend to react when we get
complaints to wikien-l-owner at wikipedia.org .

If people want, we could raise the minimum standards, and be more
proactive about moderating trolls. However, with the new directive
that grievances about blocks should not be brought here, that may not
be necessary.

Steve