[WikiEN-l] Wikimania discussions

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 08:01:06 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Wikimania meetup from August 4-6th (http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org)
> will draw people from all of the Wikimedia projects. It's a chance to meet your
> fellow contributors and discuss issues affecting the projects:

Since I can't make it, I'll save you some time on the discussion by
giving you the answers in advance.

> * Fair use: should we eradicate fair use, or encourage the fair use of
> copyrighted images?

Encourage.

> * Voting: impractical and harmful, or a necessity for some discussions?

Harmful.

> * Verifiablity: requiring sources for all new information, or
> supporting the contribution of first hand information?

Allow, but discourage, first-hand information labelled as such.

> * Dealing with trolls: do we ban pov pushers, or encourage their voices
> to be heard?

Troll != POV pusher, allow POV pushers while their presence is a net benefit

> * Dealing with vandals: delaying edits from suspicious users, or finally
> inventing the device that allows you to poke people over the internet?

Delaying.

> * Content: death to fancruft, or expanding the scope of Wikipedia to cover all
> human knowledge?

Somewhere in the middle.

> * Arbitration: the best thing since sliced bread, or a merely adequate online
> alternative to a dunk tank?

Neither.

> Register today at wm06reg.wikimedia.org -- only $70 until July 9th for 3 days
> of in-depth community discussion, presentations, autographs from and to Jimbo,
> and fun.

That's cheap air travel!

Steve