[WikiEN-l] 3RR policy proposal: No "Gotcha" rule

Puppy puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Tue Jun 27 19:12:11 UTC 2006

 > From: "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com>
 >
 > On 6/23/06, Warren Blanco <fireislandparadise at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >> Lack of warning
 >>
 >> A 3RR ban cannot be imposed against an editor who has not been
warned that
 >> he or she is in danger of violating the 3RR. A ban can only be
imposed when
 >> an editor violates the 3RR after receiving a warning even if he or
she has
 >> already tecnically violated the 3RR prior to receiving a warning.
 >>

 > Strongly oppose. Admins should use discretion in not blocking unwarned
 > users, but they shouldn't be prevented from doing so. 3RR is already
 > subject to gaming, and it only works because it's so strict. Giving
 > more escape clauses is a bad idea.
 >
 > Steve

I also strongly oppose. There is already protection for new users who
may be unaware of the rules; most Admins already try to avoid BITE-ing
newcomers. This would open the door to even more abuse than we have
currently; IMHO the goal is correctly to reduce edit warring, not
increase wiki-lawyering.
-kc-