[WikiEN-l] Offline submissions?

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 16:37:43 UTC 2006

I havent much read on this thread, but I think I like
the idea of being able to shoot simple notes (via
email, or various messaging protocols) to articles. I
dont know what form that would take but, suffice it to
say it shouldnt be appended to the article itself. And
probably not the talk page either.

It would be easy to envision it as a kind of ticket
system, where in addition to talk pages, articles have
an associated list of "tickets" which are like
extended comments not attached to a particular edit.
By 'simple notes' I mean a quick means to push off
that we think about including in a particular article
but dont have time to actually dig in and work it in
ourselves.

The ticket would show up in a list, and based on the
actual content, editors can choose to stick it
wherever it is they like to stick such things.
Maybe just appending to the bottom of the talk would
be a first incarnation, but it might get out of hand,
and we want talk comments to be responsive to previous
comments.

Accreditation in history would be a problem if the one
who submitted the ticket wants credit. Some may not
though. I imagine this being clicking on the ticket,
and the script opens up the edit window and appends
the ticket text to the article. In the edit comment
field, the ticket poster's name will show up as the
source. In the edit window, its a simple matter of
just shoving things around artfully and calling it
"good writing." (The onus for accuracy is on the
ticket sender ;)

-Svertigo