[WikiEN-l] Offline submissions?

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 22:32:59 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray wrote:
> According to the WikiProject Countering Systemic Bias, "The average
> Wikipedian on English Wikipedia (1) is male, (2) is
> technically-inclined, (3) is formally educated, (4) speaks English to
> an extent, (5) is White , (6) is aged 15-49, (7) is from a
> predominantly Christian country, (8) is from an industrialized nation,
> and (9) is more likely to be employed in intellectual pursuits than in
> practical skills or physical labor."
>
> The problem with this is the unfortunate gap in coverage that results
> from a lack of interest from the typical demographic of Wikipedians
> described above. While this demographic is definitely interested in
> contributing to a free, online encyclopedia, that doesn't mean the
> others aren't. One particular problem is that in order to contribute
> to Wikipedia, you'll need to use a computer. There are others who
> would probably be interested in contributing to our global effort,
> too, but don't understand technology. We need to allow them to
> contribute.
>
> For that purpose, I would like to start a project where people without
> access to computers (or people who voluntarily choose not to use them)
> can -write- their own Wikipedia entries and mail them in. The first
> phase of this plan, of course, would be spreading the word. The least
> expensive way would probably be distributing fliers in frequented
> areas. People could then write their own articles, and mail them in to
> the Wikimedia Office. Someone at the office (maybe Monica?) could open
> the letters, scan them in, and email them to an offline submissions
> mailing list.

Hello,

Just for the record, Monica is no more working for us. That let's Danny
to open the letters and scan the content. Then an automatic machine
could change it at least partially to electronic format. And others will
have the fix what should be fixed.

I am a bit perplex you call this the least expensive way...
Of course, Danny frankly has no time to do this at all. I suppose we
would have to hire students to be the interface... in all honesty, I
think it is very unpractical, in particular in a language where there is
already so much content. Most of the time, the article would have
changed and the new content would need to be integrated to the online
version. This would be very unpractical.

It has much more chance to work locally, in a rather little developped
language. Yes, your memory is good, it has been done, by Guaka, in
Bambara, a bit over a year ago. Guaka directly visited some elders and
picked up notes.

One of the reasons the editing system works is that it is very simple
and very quick.

  From there, people interested in the project would
> transcribe the article into Wikipedia (if applicable, see below) and
> mail back a corresponding letter featuring a print-out of the new
> article. Very simple process, plus it would allow people from
> non-typical-of-Wikipedia-editor backgrounds to put in their word.
>
> What if their entry is redundant? Not to worry. If the written
> submission has content the Wikipedia article doesn't, we add it in. If
> it doesn't, that's okay. We don't necessarily have to tell them what
> made it in and what didn't, but either way, a reply will be sent to
> the writer with a print-out of the article.

Additional costs. Who would support that ?

> ----
>
> I'm passing the above on for en:User:Messedrocker, since he's not
> subscribed to the list. My thoughts:
>
> a) This has certainly been done before on a local level with minor
> languages - was it in West Africa somewhere? My mind is failing me,
> but I've certainly seen it mentioned on wikipedia-l before - the
> writing was done by a local elder, transcribed and put online by a
> volunteer.

Yes. Btw, Guaka will be at Wikimania in Boston. If you go, you may
discuss this experience with him.