[WikiEN-l] Spoiler Boilerplates

Zero megamanzero521 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 13:37:19 UTC 2006

Zero <megamanzero521 at yahoo.com> wrote:  On 6/25/06, Steve Bennett  wrote:

> I have to admit to a sense of irony that we warn users of excessively
> technical language, and we warn them if the title of the page isn't
> quite right. We even warn them that the article uses unicode
> characters. But we refuse to warn them that they may witness seriously
> obscene material or have their enjoyment of a work of fiction totally
> spoilt.

>>It makes sense to me. When an article is bad (or not complete enough, too
technical, whatever), a reader should be warned. But when a reader looks up
something 'obscene', he shouldn't be surprised to see something 'obscene',
or when a reader looks up a movie, he shouldn't  be surprised to find a plot
summary there. To me a warning in those cases seems unnecessary.

>>Garion

  It is entirely unecessary. "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia", its  written everywhere. I absolutely refute the claim one would  "accidently" "stumble" upon wikipedia and be unaware of this.

  Take a gander at wikipedia or a external link from google. It is  written multiple times across the screen, so much as to be excessive.  "Their enjoyment of fiction"...? The enviroment in which we edit and  prepare the project determines the quality and status of wikipedia.  Treating wikipedia similar to social networking or movie site hurts  wikipedia's status as an encyclopedia. Comparing the view of an  imaginary reader's "potential harm from learning something new" hurts  wikipedia. We share knowledge freely. To say otherwise at the fictional  argument of "consideration" is not in view of an encyclopedia. - Zero