[WikiEN-l] Spoiler Boilerplates

Garion1000 garion1000 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 12:42:00 UTC 2006

On 6/25/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to admit to a sense of irony that we warn users of excessively
> technical language, and we warn them if the title of the page isn't
> quite right. We even warn them that the article uses unicode
> characters. But we refuse to warn them that they may witness seriously
> obscene material or have their enjoyment of a work of fiction totally
> spoilt.

It makes sense to me. When an article is bad (or not complete enough, too
technical, whatever), a reader should be warned. But when a reader looks up
something 'obscene', he shouldn't be surprised to see something 'obscene',
or when a reader looks up a movie, he shouldn't  be surprised to find a plot
summary there. To me a warning in those cases seems unnecessary.

Garion