[WikiEN-l] Oversight -- Really new or not?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Jun 25 12:30:00 UTC 2006

G'day Michael N,

> On 6/23/06, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 6/23/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Yet. To quote Saw2 "Oh yes, there will be blood."  (But not really,
>>>desysopping won't physically harm anybody...
>>
>>Sure. But desysopping somebody needs less time/skills than preparing a
>>legal action against him ;-) (and it's something against which he
>>cannot file an appeal)
>
> You're wrong there; our villain will be able to file an appeal with ArbCom;
> they'll laugh at him, but he will be able to appeal.
>
> Actually, that's an interesting question; presuming we ever identify the
> Wikitruth admin(s), will it stop at summary desysopping, or do we expect
> that they will also be community banned?

De-sysopping for certs: we have no need for untrustworthy admins.  As
for community banning, well; wouldn't it be more interesting to find out
what upset this person in the first place?  Assuming they aren't a mole
out to prove how easy it is to become an admin (this has been planned
many times), they presumably aren't your standard Wikitruth "I went
there and made a dick of myself and they objected for some reason"
troll.  It would be nice to know what happened to this person that they
betrayed us, partly to prevent anyone else doing the same, but mostly
because improving the experience of anyone editing Wikipedia in good
faith is a Good Thing to aim for.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"But the visibility was very poor, and you yourself admit that you were