[WikiEN-l] Spoiler Boilerplates

Zero megamanzero521 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 23:18:13 UTC 2006

Zero <megamanzero521 at Yahoo.com> wrote:
  >Hi, I'm George, and I'm a Wikipedia Editor, and a  I'm a Wikipedia reader, too.

>The dichotomy of "editors" not being "users" is false.  We're a subset
>of readership.  We should not use our judgement to assume what r>eaders
>want arbitrarily, but using common sense is different.  Spoiler
>warnings are common in other online forums, and have been for a long
>time, and they're there for a reason.  They're there because some
>people object to spoilers.  Sometimes a majority of readers object to
>spoilers.

  Indeed. However, I do recall the premise that wikipedia isn't a forum.  That's a strawman argument. It isn't possible for wikipedia to spoil an  reader because that is the point of wikipedia (to provide elaborate  summeries). An encyclopedia is an device through which to provide  knowledge and in this area, I paticularly, believe we excell.

  Readers object to spoilers..? What does that have to do with us..? Are they paying us..?