[WikiEN-l] Oversight log

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:49:06 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I appreciate that listing the article name may prompt
> investigative types to go searching for the deleted revisions on
> dumps.

Or to the many mirrors of Wikipedia, as has happened.

> But to close off all public record of this potentially
> GFDL-violating tool is very worrying to me.

How would it violate GFDL, and what would the "worrying" consequences be?

> Is there *any* reason not to have a bare log of oversight actions?
> Even without the page title, I'd like to see who removes an edit and
> when, with a reason (like "Personal Information"). Perhaps with some
> sort of unique tag (in the style of the autoblocks). This information
> would in no way give away the version removed or from what page it was
> removed, and it would reveal who was using the tools the most. Like:
>
> 22:17, 23 June 2006 Jimbo Wales removed a revision (ID #123456789).
> Reason given was: "Personally identifiable information"
>
> Any reason why that is unacceptable?

Of what benefit would that information be, and to whom?  What would
the subsequent action be, some editor saying "why did Jimbo remove
that revision on June 23"?  He's already said why, Personal
Information.  This suggestion would just turn the log into a fishing
expedition for distrustful editors.

Jay.