[WikiEN-l] Non-office OFFICE actions

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:17:44 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Lauder-Frost has been stubbed
> following an OTRS query
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/otrs/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom&TicketID=310629
>
> This article originally stated that Lauder-Frost was cleared on appeal
> of charges of theft.  This turns out to be a lie: he was convicted.

Per [[WP:LIVING]], we can't say that without a source.

> His supporters assert that the theft may now not be mentioned
> (although they were perfectly happy for the lie to be in there, it
> seems),

That shouldn't be in there either.

> because it is a "spent" conviction under the rehabilitation of
> offenders act.  This appears to be a novel interpretation, since the
> text of the act as posted to Talk only prevents publication with
> malicious intent.

I assume that this is a piece of UK law, which probably doesn't apply to
Wikipedia since the servers and the WMF are based in Florida. However,
IANAL, and the UK has some wacky defamation/anti-libel laws, so anything
could happen.

> They have argued long and hard for removal of this conviction from the
> article.  I do not think neutral biography can omit it.

Provided it's sourced, of course.

> Lauder-Frost has had his solicitors write to one editor (who made no
> significant edits to the article as far as I can see) and has
> contacted the Foundation; Brad is involved.  User Sussexman has been
> blocked for alluding to these legal threats before they were made - he
> is clearly in contact with Lauder-Frost.

Well, legal threats are grounds for immediate and indefinate blocking.

> I think they are gaming the system.  They wanted a long puff piece
> about Lauder-Frost, when it was trimmed and the truth of his
> conviction added they wanted it deleted.

It's been AFD'ed twice, and kept both times. At present it's
semi-protected, which is the appropriate action to take when extensive
IP/sockpuppet vandalism has taken place.