[WikiEN-l] Oversight log

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 23 04:34:53 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> No. Absolutely not. If anyone apart from the oversight group knows that
> a revision has been deleted, they can just find a database dump that was
> taken before the deletion occurred, compare the history, and go post the
> deleted revision somewhere else on the internet.

Couldn't they just compare pre- and post-deletion database dumps to find
the "missing" revision anyway, if they're willing to spend that much
effort? SQL is good for these sorts of searches.

It seems to me that attempting to come up with a "perfect" system for
expunging all traces of an edit from existence utterly and without
recourse is going to run pretty solidly against the fundamentally open
nature of Wikipedia required by the GFDL. And at some point doesn't it
become more the _other_ guy's responsibility if he's going to go to that
much effort to dig libel out of old database dumps and republish it?