[WikiEN-l] semi-stuff (was Re: New York Times article)

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:18:51 UTC 2006

> Mark Gallagher wrote:
> > We've all seen users completely blocked because of a regrettable
> > tendency to upload copyvios or create POV forks or move-war.  Now, they
> > could be otherwise intelligent people who think they know about
> > copyright law but don't; or useful contributors when they're being
> > supervised by other people on controversial articles, but who feel free
> > to let rip on their "own" fork articles; or people who insist on
> > treating the "move" button as a toy and causing unnecessary work for
> > admins and unnecessary stress for non-admins.  In that last case, Curps'
> > bot caught at least one offender, but that's hardly reliable.
>
> It is unclear to me that there really are that many cases of people who
> are extremely annoying in some areas, but whose help would be so
> valuable in other areas.

A great many users, including some of our most prolific editors, have
no clue about image copyright law or policy.  The ability to block
them from uploading images would be quite useful.

What would be even more useful would be for image uploading to be a
privilege, not a right: you don't get the ability to upload images
simply by registering an account.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]