[WikiEN-l] semi-stuff (was Re: New York Times article)

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Thu Jun 22 12:10:44 UTC 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Mark Gallagher wrote:

> G'day Alphax,
>

>> Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>>> How about semi-blocking, letting semi-blocked editors comment on
>>> Talk
>>> but not in article space?
>>>

>> Ideally, blocking would be even more fine-tuned:
>>
>> * Block users from individual namespaces
>> * Block users from individual articles
>> * Fix Bug 550 *and implement the fix*
>>

> * Block users from uploading images
> * Block users from creating articles
> * Block users from moving articles
>
> We've all seen users completely blocked because of a regrettable
> tendency to upload copyvios or create POV forks or move-war.  Now,
> they
> could be otherwise intelligent people who think they know about
> copyright law but don't; or useful contributors when they're being
> supervised by other people on controversial articles, but who feel
> free
> to let rip on their "own" fork articles; or people who insist on
> treating the "move" button as a toy and causing unnecessary work for
> admins and unnecessary stress for non-admins.  In that last case,
> Curps'
> bot caught at least one offender, but that's hardly reliable.
>
> It would be nice to be able to prevent certain people from doing
> obnoxious things without blocking them completely.  We shouldn't
> have to
> block otherwise sane users because of a minor foible.

The arbitration committee is constantly on the lookout for solutions
which provide partial solutions such as you suggest so that there are
alternatives to simply blocking someone. Mostly they depend on the
using being willing to comply with partial bans on their editing.
This is not done by software, but enforced by administrative blocking
if they violate the partial ban, such as editing particular articles.

Fred