[WikiEN-l] "the experiment" - did it work?

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 22 02:13:08 UTC 2006

Ian Woollard wrote:

> I definitely agree, but I think the nupedia experiment tells us that
> formal reviews are bad for the wikipedia though.

Depends what you mean by that. Featured article nominations are formal
reviews in some sense, or about as formal as one gets on a project whose
culture trends to the informal. Formal reviews aren't bad per se, but
Nupedia had a poorly designed workflow. Now that we have the community
and the tools to produce large amounts of content, it makes sense to try
to see if we can't adjust the tools to also allow for better review
processes.

Incidentally, historically speaking your characterization is backwards.
It's Wikipedia that was the experiment relative to Nupedia, not the
other way round.

--Michael Snow