[WikiEN-l] "the experiment" - did it work?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jun 21 21:35:35 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 6/21/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > By and large, AfC is a lot less work for any given article than AfD
> > is. "Bad" AfCs can simply be ignored. "Good" ones take a couple of
> > minutes, but at least we end up with a useful, well-formatted article
> > out of the deal.
> >
> Here's something that would be even less work for everyone.
>
> When a non-logged in user creates a new article stick "warning, this
> isn't really part of Wikipedia" on the top of it.  Then, when a logged
> in user edits it, take the warning off.  If no logged in user edits it
> within X days, delete it.

Here's a harsher version, but just as open and should save even more
time.  I'll call a user "registered" if they fit whatever criteria is
currently used (logged in for X days, I believe).

When an unregistered user creates a new article, stick some
appropriate warning on the top.  Registered users see a checkbox and
button next to the warning, which says "approve article".  If the
article is approved, it's entered into a log, and the warning goes
away.

Until an article is approved, it can be deleted by *any* registered
user, there's no need to bother an admin to delete it.  Additionally,
if the article is not approved within X days, it is automatically
deleted.

Anthony