[WikiEN-l] Username blocks on companies

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 02:24:16 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. Firstly, it's an unacceptable username;

Wikipedia:Username only speaks of usernames explicitly advertising a company:

  Accounts with usernames that advertise a particular website, company,
  etc. (e.g. "visit [name of url]" ) are discouraged and may be blocked.

> secondly, it could be seen as a "group account";

True. This would be a reason to use a username like "Some Guy (Some Company)".

>  thirdly, it could be being used for impersonation.

That can be said about virtually any name. I suspect we probably have
a few undetected cases of users impersonating people they don't like,
ex-girlfriends, etc. Normally we assume good faith until impersonation
is brought to our attention.

> People identifying the company they work for shouldn't be editing the
> article on that company

I would make an exception for obvious errors. They also have every
right to comment on the talk page.

I'm not saying these user accounts shouldn't be blocked -- I think
they just may warrant a slightly more refined treatment than a
commented version of the same template that we use for people who call
themselves "YOU ARE ALL DICKHEADS11!!" A friendly notice how companies
are allowed to contribute to Wikipedia would work better, I think.

It would also be nice to be able to turn off the IP autoblocker in those cases.

Erik