[WikiEN-l] Exit Interview -- Jon Awbrey

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Sun Jun 18 19:24:41 UTC 2006

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

post 3.

incorporating responsess to:

CM = Charles Matthews
SB = Steve Bennett

CM:  Yes, editing WP doesn't suit everybody.
And it is possible to leave, without feeling
a need to blacken its reputation.

SB: What is an accurate reporter?  Where do the stamp collectors (the
people who write vast, presumably accurate, catalogues of all the
train stations, types of trains, etc etc) fit in?  What about the
wikignomes, those (like me) that will happily attack any random
article in the hope of improving it?

to continue,

i will try to stay focused on the task at hand,
which is simply to provide clear feedback that
might become useful at some time in the future
toward the actualization of a worthy objective
with which i continue to feel a certain degree
of sympathy, even though my personal resources
on its behalf are approaching final exhaustion.

accesses of strong feelings as i lay out this narrative
are probably inevitable, and defensive reactions on the
part of some of its readers are quite natural and to be
expected, especially with those who share a strong bond
of common identity with each other and the ideals of WP.
indeed, until just a few days ago, i was commonly found
to be voicing many of the same apologies and excuses to
my acquaintances with regard to the rough-jeweled state
and the promise of WP, so i know most of these by heart.

i do not know if the reputation of WP could be diminished any further
among the acquaintances that i have discussed it with, but i do know
that whether its reputation improves or worsens, it will be through
the acts of the WP community as a whole, and not through my words.

after reading SB's remarks 3 or 4 times,
i'm not sure i can guess what he means,
so i'll just leave this as a question.

jon awbrey

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/