[WikiEN-l] New York Times article

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 04:28:53 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The New York Times has an article on Wikipedia called "
>  Growing Wikipedia Revises Its 'Anyone Can Edit' Policy

This is remarkably poor journalism. It shows that the media are
clutching at straws to write about us. I hope the recently created
Communications Committee is building personal connections to some of
the journalists involved, and will occasionally feed them interesting
"exclusive" stories in addition to regular press releases. We can't
prevent the press from screwing up, but perhaps at least we can give
them a better idea about things which are actually happening, e.g:
- ongoing reorganization of Wikimedia, heated debates about the
non-profit's future
- 1,000 featured articles, ongoing experiments towards Wikipedia 0.5/1.0
- Wikimedia Commons becoming a gigantic archive of functional free
content (643,000 files, ~250 GB)
etc.

Erik