[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 02:42:58 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

> As for why this irritates me so, consider: someone *opposed an RfA for a
> good user* because the opposer was insisting he do the Wrong Thing.  RfA
> has enough problems these days ("Wikipedia doesn't scale") without
> people deliberately making the adminship process worse by imposing
> blatantly false requirements.

This phenomenon is remarkable to me really. Very few experienced users take
vandalism personally or get upset about it. Some of us actually find it
funny from time to time. But someone acting with good faith being a little
misguided is threatening and we get angry and fight them and spend hours on
the mailing list writing posts about it instead of writing articles and some
of us end up leaving the project over these battles.

Puzzling.

Ryan