[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:26:05 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> > The other day I got reverted for removing a speedy tag from a good
> > article (the thing was tagged as vanity, which is not a reason for
> > deletion).  That's not the good bit.  The good bit is: I removed it
> > again, and got reverted by a completely different user, and was told
> > that nobody may remove speedy tags, but must use {{hangon}} until a
> > discussion at [[Wikipedia:Speedy deletions]] has been concluded.
>
> Fwiw, in those situations, if I remove it again, I would tend to
> replace it with a comment like <!-- according to [[WP:FOO]] vanity is
> not a reason to speedy. Consider {{prod}} or {{afd}} instead? -->
>
> Steve

In those situations, I would prod it if it warranted being deleted in my
opinion. If it is something that might be worth keeping based on my
decision, I would remove the tag and discuss why on the talk page. I would
suggest putting it before Articles for deletion if they still wanted to put
up an argument.

It is at the discretion of the admin to decide where an article meets the
criteria for speedy deletion. When it doesn't, he or she has the option of
prodding it, listing it at articles for deletion or keeping an article and
explaining why on the talk page.

This afternoon Australian time, an article on MacRobertson's chocolates who
were Australia's leading  confectioners in the early part of last century
was nominated for speedy deletion on the grounds that the article didn't
assert notability as a group. I kept it, cleaned it up a bit and renamed it
because I knew it was article and the article while it needed (and needs)
work established its notabilty. Speedy deletion requires the admin to
exercise thought not merely hit the delete button.

Regards

Keith Old

User: Capitalistroadster