[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 11:12:20 UTC 2006

G'day Steve,

> On 6/16/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>The other day I got reverted for removing a speedy tag from a good
>>article (the thing was tagged as vanity, which is not a reason for
>>deletion).  That's not the good bit.  The good bit is: I removed it
>>again, and got reverted by a completely different user, and was told
>>that nobody may remove speedy tags, but must use {{hangon}} until a
>>discussion at [[Wikipedia:Speedy deletions]] has been concluded.
>
> Fwiw, in those situations, if I remove it again, I would tend to
> replace it with a comment like <!-- according to [[WP:FOO]] vanity is
> not a reason to speedy. Consider {{prod}} or {{afd}} instead? -->

Oh, the issue's been resolved.  That it occurred at all, and that two
separate users --- neither of whom would consider themselves newbies ---
argued the speedy tag should be kept for "procedural" reasons, is the
worrying bit.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"