[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 10:59:26 UTC 2006

 From the famous Herostratus RfA: "There's no excuse to not use the
warning templates for users vandalising, especially IP users."

And the perpetrator of this idiotic statement is, according to his
userpage, an RC patroller (although, blessedly, not apparently a member
of CVU).

Once we were worried about the newbie contingent getting so large that
new users were in fact starting to consider themselves old hands and
influencing Wikipedia (see: CVU admins, userbox fiasco).  It's gone
beyond that, now: these days, the newbies are offering *advice* to more
clueful users, and expecting it to be taken.

I'm not just extrapolating from the RfA we've been discussing, of course
--- it's just that us having fallen so far that people are pompously
demanding on RfA that users do the Wrong Thing is rather shocking to me.
  Newbies-who-think-they-aren't-new saying bloody stupid things is
something I've gotten used to, thanks to the speedy deletion thing.

The other day I got reverted for removing a speedy tag from a good
article (the thing was tagged as vanity, which is not a reason for
deletion).  That's not the good bit.  The good bit is: I removed it
again, and got reverted by a completely different user, and was told
that nobody may remove speedy tags, but must use {{hangon}} until a
discussion at [[Wikipedia:Speedy deletions]] has been concluded.

I suspect it's my own fault --- I've forgotten how to suck eggs.

What do we do about this sort of stupidity?  I'm very much against, as
y'all know, the biting of newbies in general, but the biting of people
who still don't know how Wikipedia works but want to run around
insisting that they know better than those who *do* is very tempting indeed.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"