[WikiEN-l] No big deal?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 22:13:58 UTC 2006

G'day Guy,

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:27:33 +0200, "Steve Bennett"
> <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The questions from the peanut
>>gallery are less good.
>
> Best one I've seen: do you see the role of administrator as that of
> policeman or janitor.  Made me think, anyway.

Too vulnerable to the "faking through a job interview" style of
answering.  Anyone who does a modicum of research before accepting their
RfA (that is to say, looking at other RfAs) will know how strong the
"janitor" metaphor is.  Unless the "policeman" metaphor becomes more
acceptable to the community --- and I hope it won't --- then, knowing
the mindset of many who hang out at RfA, this is a very simple pass/fail
question.  Admittedly, the "oh, policeman, obviously" is something that
might trap a clueless CVU newbie or two, so we can weed them out before
they do any damage after passing on their vandal-biting contribution alone.

I'd like to see more creative answers.  Like: "admins are neither
policemen nor janitors; we're volunteer firemen from the SES.  We clean
up messes, protect fellow community members from fires, and if necessary
have the power to confiscate matches from particularly nasty firebugs."

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"