[WikiEN-l] No big deal?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:50:36 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Just when you think you've seen it all...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/Herostratus
>
> One editor opposes adminship on the grounds that Herostratus has some
> nicely executed fake "categories" on his user page:

Finally got around to reading this. What rot. Complaints included:

* The aforementioned fake categories
* Using a "fake signature" (actually he forgot to sign), unretracted
* Not "conveying an image of seriousness" (???)
* Not using standard warning templates (he wrote WTF on a vandal's
talk page with a link to the offending edit)
* "Casually mentioning that he might undelete some articles" - the
question asked was what he would do with his admin tools. He said he
might undelete some speedied articles. Um, yes? He might block some
users, too. Both legitimate activities.
* "Conduct unbecoming an admin" - I think this refers to having a
sense of humour
* Finding vandalism funny...

In other words, he doesn't take Wikipedia that seriously, and is able
to make valuable contributions anyway. Eep.

Steve