[WikiEN-l] Delete Daniel Brandt

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:49:29 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Sean Barrett wrote:
> >
> > See also Terrorists#negotiating with
>
> I agree. And I made that decision for myself when I switched to using
> my real name on Wikipedia.
>
> But that's not a decision Wikipedia has the right to make for me. It
> is not a government, and I am not its citizen.

No admin was forced to sign up, either. Wikipedia and the Wikimedia
Foundation aren't responsible for the actions of crackpots like Brandt. He's
responsible. If you want the Hivemind page taken down, he's the guy you
should be going after.

I made my name and my information publically viewable because I don't
believe that these people can actually hurt me in any concrete way. Maybe
that was naive but I still can't think of how. They can be annoying and
harassing, but if I don't let it get to me, it won't. Part of administrative
responsibility is having the force of will to brush aside the people who
don't deserve the recognition that giving a damn about them or what they do
gives them.

Ryan