[WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures

Death Phoenix originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 15:56:39 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2006 at 23:48,  "Death Phoenix" <originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/12/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I tend to call it Commonwealth English, except when something gets me
> > > really annoyed, and then I'm liable to call it Proper Bloody English.
> >
> > PBE's a good one.
>
> Pompous Bullshit English?
>
> It (British/Commonwealth English) tends, in my (probably biased)
> experience, to be used by people trying to put on airs and sound
> pretentiously superior, like real estate developers naming a
> development "Harbour Centre" when it's nowhere near a harbo(u)r nor
> particularly close to the center/re of anything important, or fashion
> magazines ("Glamour") that desperately want to show how elegant they
> believe themselves to be, or snooty academics who would rather be
> involved with an "encyclopaedia" than a commoner's "encyclopedia".
>
> I find it especially bothersome to encounter the word "paedophile",
> since I hardly think pedophiles deserve to be dignified with a
> pretentiously dressed-up spelling.

And I find that PBE is used by people who actually know English as it is
properly used.

Unfortunately, having written in both Canadian and Australian English as
well as the others, I guess that means I'm a convict who lives in an igloo,
drinks tea with the pinky extended, and carries a gun with him at all times.