[WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Jun 13 00:29:09 UTC 2006

On 12 Jun 2006 at 23:48,  "Death Phoenix" <originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/12/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tend to call it Commonwealth English, except when something gets me
> > really annoyed, and then I'm liable to call it Proper Bloody English.
>
> PBE's a good one.

Pompous Bullshit English?

It (British/Commonwealth English) tends, in my (probably biased)
experience, to be used by people trying to put on airs and sound
pretentiously superior, like real estate developers naming a
development "Harbour Centre" when it's nowhere near a harbo(u)r nor
particularly close to the center/re of anything important, or fashion
magazines ("Glamour") that desperately want to show how elegant they
believe themselves to be, or snooty academics who would rather be
involved with an "encyclopaedia" than a commoner's "encyclopedia".

I find it especially bothersome to encounter the word "paedophile",
since I hardly think pedophiles deserve to be dignified with a
pretentiously dressed-up spelling.

--
== Dan ==