[WikiEN-l] Delete Daniel Brandt

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 04:46:19 UTC 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 12:40 AM, Stan Shebs wrote:

> So how is working on WP fundamentally different from selling items on
> eBay, getting into arguments on Usenet, or sending patches to a Linux
> mailing list? You play around on the net, you're going to be visible
> to the whole world, for better or worse. The archives still record
> various stupid things I wrote in public over two decades ago, they
> are never going away.

Or for that matter, from posting on MySpace.

Which, of course, is working overtime to protect its members from
getting killed. Similarly, eBay offers an extensive array of
protections to its users.

> We've got all these editors who get all kinds of egoboo from the
> credit for working on a top-20 website, and who apparently don't
> reflect that it means they're being scrutinized by that many
> millions of eyeballs, not all of them friendly. WP is a serious
> endeavour, not a toy - for each WP edit, I consider whether
> I would be willing to show it to a family member, discuss it
> in a job interview, etc. If editors aren't thinking about all this,
> perhaps the login creation page needs to explain it better.

And? I do that with everything I post on the Internet. Only problem
is, it's tough to think "What is a psychopath going to think of this?"

> (I thought teenagers couldn't edit without parental approval
> anyway, since they don't have legal standing to agree to GFDL.)

We have teenage admins who I'm pretty sure we did not get permission
slips from.

-Phil