[WikiEN-l] Cultural distinctions are accidental? Consensus among cultures is bad?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jun 11 22:39:40 UTC 2006

Raphael Wegmann wrote:

>Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>

>>Jimbo claims he's said this many times in the past.  I couldn't find
>>any, but if anyone else can maybe I can better understand what he's
>>saying.  If Jimbo does "NOT think that cultural distinctions between
>>difference language Wikipedias are accidental", then he must think
>>they're intentional.  That raises the question as to who intended
>>these distinctions, and what distinctions were intended.  I always
>>thought the English Wikipedia at least was supposed to be neutral with
>>regard to culture.  Maybe English is the exception?
>>

>Regardless whether the cultural distinctions are intended or not,
>they are a fact. I would consider i.e. a translation of terms like
>Islam and Terrorism from english to arabic and vice versa very
>exciting. I honestly thought about paying a translator to do it.

Charged as those terms might be, that is not where the translation
difficulties are going to be.  Islam can be any religion based on the
Qur'an, and can include a wide range of practices, both moderate and
extremist.  "Terrorism" as a word transcends language, because the
debste over just what terrorim is will remain similar in any language.

Ec