[WikiEN-l] User Protection Fund

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:36:21 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> A separate, but related issue to the Daniel Brandt thread.
>
> It's common enough sense that Wikipedia is going to get sued someday.
> And I know we've been preparing financially for that.
>
> But with the rise of Brandt, Wikipedia Review, and whatever is going
> to come after them in this progression, the fact of the matter is
> that admins and regular editors are in danger too. Not just legal
> danger (As I assume the Foundation would use its legal resources to
> protect an admin who was sued), but personal danger.
>
> Our photos, names, and cities are being published. People are
> stalking us. Eventually, something bad is going to happen.
>
> When it does, there should be a fund to help - whether its helping
> with the medical bills of someone who's physically attacked, helping
> with the legal bills of someone who's trying to stop a stalker, or
> helping defray the costs of someone who's fired because of harassment
> at their workplace, Wikipedia needs to be able to help the volunteers
> who are put in danger by helping Wikipedia.
>
> I believe that we should, as soon as possible, start a special
> fundraiser to build this fund, and after that should devote a regular
> portion of the Foundation budget to it.
>
> Supporting Wikipedia is acquiring a high price. Simply put, Wikipedia
> needs the ability to support us.
>
> -Phil

Now this is an idea I can get behind. Wikimedia really should defend
it's users, a user fund would be a good way to do this.

How much money are we talking though? As we all know, wikimedia ain't
the richest organisation in the world, we are barely scraping by. And
a solid legal defense can be very expensive.

--Oskar