[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 00:09:44 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Jesse W <jessw at netwood.net> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> > We have articles on every single episode of most major TV shows, and
> > lots of
> > minor ones. You would never see that in any encyclopaedia.
>
> You would not see that in the Encyclopedia of Late 20th Century
> American Television?  Really?  Or do you mean in any "general"
> encyclopedia.  Because certainly, Wikipedia reaches the level of a
> specialized encyclopedia in a number of areas, like television shows -
> but (I hope), we don't go too much beyond that.

Out of curiosity, why?

Obviously storage space becomes a limit at some point, but there seems
to be little visible limit to the interest of people in documenting
things.

What, exactly, does an end-state Wikipedia project look like, to those
who would want us to stop adding new articles at some point?  How and
when would you say "stop"?

--
-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com / george.herbert at gmail.com