[WikiEN-l] Lovely.

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 17:55:04 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> Harrassment is an unvarnished Bad Thing.  Those who tracked down
> Katefan0 --- who, as has been pointed out repeatedly, was a *bloody
> good* administrator --- out of sheer malice towards people like you and
> I (I assume Wiktionary admins are no holier than your counterparts
> here), who telephoned her boss --- again, out of undirected malice
> against admins in general, --- who forced her to leave Wikipedia, and
> who invented fictional ethics complaints after the fact in a vain
> attempt to justify their behaviour, do not need our encouragement.  The
> reverse, it would seem to me, is in order.

It's worth pointing out that at no point has anyone said that Katefan0
was editing from work.

One is not safe from malicious complaints to one's employer simply
because one has never used work equipment or work time to edit
Wikipedia.

Unfortunately, too many employers are hyper-sensitive to bad publicity
to the degree that any complaint about an employee, regardless of
merit and regardless of whether it is to do with their activities
wholly outside of work, is a black mark.

An interesting aside: in some US states, including California,
employees cannot be fired or disciplined for political participation.
Thus, if your edits are to politics-related articles, you have a
degree of safety not found if you edit wholly unremarkable and
uncontroversial stuff ...

-Matt