[WikiEN-l] AFC needs your help!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 08:59:55 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, what's the point in blanking a page? The history would still be
> retained and it doesn't save any space.

Uh, I didn't really understand the complaint about old article
suggestions being stored in the first place. But if we really don't
want anons to be able to create articles (in the sense that an entry
on AfC is itself an article) that persist, then we should delete them
all periodically...

> Anyway, I want to correct a few misconceptions.
> AFC people aren't overworked the way deletion admins would be because AFC
> work doesn't require admin abilities. The overworkedness is simply due to
> the fact only a small number of people are tending to it. If my initial
> message can get more people interested in joining the workload for each
> individual person would go down.

Yep. I try and help out sometimes, but it's pretty repetitive...

> Lastly, I prefer the current situation to anons being able to create new
> pages. It's easier to evaluate a suggestion and post it if it's good than to
> spend half an hour deleting unsuitable entries from the main namespace.

Yep. Also, the created articles tend to meet the basic requirements
for a Wikipedia article:

- Suitable definition of subject
- Basic style (bolded subject)
- At least one source
- At least one category
- Stub tag

Which is more than can be said for a lot of articles created by
"established" Wikipedians.

Steve