[WikiEN-l] Objective oversight needed

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 9 07:21:26 UTC 2006

I have been in dispute for some time with a small group of editors
promoting the concept of personal rapid transit
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit), a proposed for
of rapid transit.  The major problem is that the article describes the
features of a wide-scale implementation, but the few pilot projects
have been on a much smaller scale and exhibit few of the features
promoted as inherent by PRT proponents (such as very short headways,
in the sub-second range and very large numbers of cars, to make
waiting times short).

We've succeeded in pruning most of the hyperbole from the PRT article,
but there is a particular concept version, UniModal, which was
redirected once per AfD and DRV (despite massive involvement from new
and anonymous editors, if you get my drift) but which User:Fresheneesz
in particular is keen to have.  It has reappeared again at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UniModal, replete with claims of massive
top speeds, fantastically low build and operating costs etc.  I have
pruned it down to a couple of verifiable paragraphs, but I just know
that the usual war is going to result.

I am always open to the possibility I may be wrong.  It may be that we
*like* to have large articles on hypothetical concepts for which the
originators are vigorously pitching for funding.  On the other hand,
we might not.  My reading of [[WP:V]] says not.  But I'd appreciate
another set of eyes.

Fresheneesz's version is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=UniModal&oldid=57664644

Guy (JzG)