[WikiEN-l] Lovely.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jun 8 16:23:18 UTC 2006

Stan Shebs wrote:

>One thing that I think editors should do is to make employers and
>such aware of their WP activities as much as possible. WP's
>visibility and reputation is now such that it's generally a positive
>thing to be seen as an important person in WP, and should a nasty
>person call, it helps the callee to recognize it as stalking
>rather than anything legitimate. Be proud of your work for
>Wikipedia, and let everybody know about it.

I don't think we should let our role as an "important person" go to our
heads.  When I mention my role to people that I meet the results are
either benignly positive, or I still have to explain what Wikipedia is.
In the latter case people are not impressed by an important role in
something that they have never heard of.

Perhaps my biggest drawback in these circumstances is my own lack of
MediaWiki expertise.  I can easily see where MediaWiki software would be
useful benefit in areas related to the practice of education, but feel
restricted in my inability to describe how they could download and apply
the software.  There is a tendency among school systems to get bogged
down in expensive software licences, and a lack of will to explore less
expensive alternatives.

Ec