[WikiEN-l] Types of categories

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Tue Jun 6 17:28:45 UTC 2006

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata

> This is pretty simple theoretically.  The only real problem is getting
> the multiple category schemes in sync.  Considering your point about
> how the German categorization scheme differs from the English one,
> this might be a lot harder in practice than it is in theory.

Right. You _could_ make it work on some categories, say "Women" or
"Nobelprize winners".

It cannot possible work for all categories, though, because different
languages know different categories. For instance, security and safety is
the same word in German: Sicherheit. Thus, [[de:Lifebelt]] is in the German
category that is linked to the English category Security.

Numbers are much easier to share. Population of a country. Weight of a
molecule.

> Personally I don't see the difference between taxonomies and
> attributes, as described.  But I suppose one (taxonomies?) could be
> described as partitioning (an article can only be in one taxonomy
> category) whereas attributes can be mixed.  Under that definition

I suspect this is impossible. But it's hard to tell if you're not even sure
what counts as a taxonomy.

Roger