[WikiEN-l] Aww, so cute, a banned user is trying to take us down with a DMCA notice (Forwarded email)

Death Phoenix originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 14:24:11 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:

> >> Doesn't apply becuase it has already been tried:
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> >> Wikipedia_talk:Copyright_problems#A_proposal
> >>
> > Simply giving legal advice is not the practice of law.  Practice would
> > require doing it as some kind of business.
>
> It's still against the rules to give legal advice for free, because
> the rules are made by lawyers, and lawyers' business is giving legal
> advice.

Really? I get free legal advice from my lawyer all the time, though I guess
the "free" part could be in dispute. For instance, my mortgage agreement is
up for renewal, and I go to my lawyer to update the paperwork. He does not
charge by the hour for this service, and instead has a fixed price. While I
am there, I also let him know of some changes in my life and whether I
should update my will. He says not necessarily, but tells me what changes in
my life DO require an update on my will. Did he just give me free legal
advice, and if so, is this against the rules?

Now, let's say I don't go to the lawyer on an unrelated matter, let's say I
call him up out of the blue to tell him of changes in my life and ask him
whether I should update my will. Did he just give me free legal advice, and
if so, is this against the rules?