[WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:40:54 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just goes to show that the first random number thrown out is invariably wrong...
>
> But nevertheless, surely we can agree that *some* limit is needed?

I think we can all agree that in cases where a signature really does
significantly hinder editing, it should be reduced to the point where
it doesn't.

I'm not sure we will ever agree on a quantitative way of deciding
that. The annoyance is a qualtitative effect, so the inability to put
a good number on it won't be helpful.

If you set a hard number, people will just come up with creative ways
to be annoying within that number of characters. If we do have any
guidelines, better for them to be qualtitative, IMO. It will cause
occasional back-and-forth but if people start complaining about
individual signatures then it's probably a good indication that it is
enough of a nuisance to require some changing.

FF