[WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:51:03 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/06, maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A good idea. Unless one has an absurdly long name, it should be
> > possible to add one's name, a link to the talk page and contribs, and
> > a little extra something- but no more! - within ~ 50 characters.
> > Someone want to file a bug request for this?
>
> [[User:Can't sleep, clown will eat me|32Can't sleep, clown will eat me]]
>
> I think that's 70 characters including spaces, punctuation and
> brackets.  Just for reference purposes.

I was thinking about this last night, and he came to mind for me, too.

You could use (2x or 3x user name length + some fixed amount), to let people
have separate links to User: and User talk: pages, which I find useful.

Hmm.  I just checked my signature (standard, off the shelf, unprettified).
With 20 chars of username, I get 50 chars total.  I definitely want to
support a limit that would eventually let me at least put in a talk page
link eventually.

Tony (and others) - what length and display mode of page editing gets
signatures to the point that they bother you?  Past two lines of standard
screen size edit window?

I just checked, with my display settings I get about 130 characters width in
the window.  That would imply reasonable break points at 100-130 chars and
200-260 chars if you go by line length with what I guess typical window
widths are.

--
-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com / george.herbert at gmail.com