[WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures (was: cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:27:35 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> The "cutesie sigs" problems seems to be like the userbox problem all
> over again... once again you have a bunch of users who seem to be
> treating Wikipedia like another Myspace or LiveJournal, and another
> bunch of editors/admins who are so offended by this that they insist
> on taking draconian action against the first group... and then both
> groups escalate matters and get much more heated-up about it than the
> whole silly issue deserves.

You forgot the bit where a third, unrelated group jumps on the
bandwagon complaining about "freedom of speech" violations...

Would it be fair to say that the rights to cutesie sigs are probably
about as strong as the rights to refactor cutesie sigs?

Steve (simple, customised sig - my username, but linked to my talk page)