[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Mon Jun 5 08:42:35 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:12:18 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>My objection in short: "Fuck process" is, here and now, more of a problem
>>for Wikipedia than any of the individual wrongs Tony has righted using that
>>justification, of late.  Playing well with others is more important now.
>>

>Up to a point, I'd say.  As far as I can tell Tony's beef with
>"process wonks" is that the slavish following of rules has come to
>replace building a great encyclopaedia as the primary goal.  He has no
>patience with people who look first at the rules and only second at
>whether a given thing is good for the encyclopaedia or not.  The
>decision hierarchy at present for many people seems to be community,
>guideline, policy, encyclopaedia - it should be the other way round.
>
>Guy (JzG)

Bravo, Guy. That's exactly what's wrong with Wikipedia these days.
People often seem to take issue with [[WP:IAR]] and [[WP:SNOW]] without
reading them in the first place; WP:SNOW in particular has some good
words for process. The point is to use your head when doing something,
and if you get headbutted back, get consensus before trying that again.
(Of course, if you already have consensus, you can just steamroll the
association of well-meaning but clueless newbies and trolls that stand
in your way.)

John