[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jun 4 19:42:51 UTC 2006

Conrad Dunkerson wrote:
>  There are admins who are routinely incivil,
> make personal attacks on a regular basis, and thumb their noses at
> consensus... and that IS damaging Wikipedia.

Give some examples?  File an arbcom case?

> Look around at your fellow admins from time to time and ask yourself... is
> there ANY way this person could pass an RFA at this point? If the answer
> is 'no' then the de facto situation is that a person who does NOT have the
> support or respect of the community has powers which are only supposed to
> be held by those who DO... and that inherently breeds disruption and
> resentment and ongoing damage to Wikipedia as a whole.

I think it would be reasonable to have some sort of process other than
ArbCom whereby admins are from time to time or upon particular
circumstances renominated for adminship.  The danger, of course, is that
such a process could be used by trolls as a hammer against some of our
more active admins.  I can see endless repeats of renominations for
adminship every time an admin does something sensible but bold.

That seems worse than whatever problems we may have now.

--Jimbo