[WikiEN-l] Types of categories

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jun 3 19:50:24 UTC 2006

I've thought a lot about categories and differing (and incompatible)
uses from about a week after the categories were first introduced.  I
agree that categories could be very useful if used carefully.

To my mind there are only two main types of categories:
taxonomies/attributes, and themes.  I don't think the strict taxonomy
category really exists (for instance, using your "bridges" example,
the Golden Gate Bridge is in both [[Category:Bridges in California]]
and [[Category:Bridges completed in 1937]]).  The third type of
category, which you label meta-attributes, is another type, I suppose,
but I kind of ignore these types of categories.

I think the way to make these two main types of categories compatible
is to enforce two rules: 1) taxonomies/attributes are always plural
(and themes are never plural) 2) themes are never subcategories of
taxonomies/attributes (but the reverse is allowed).

Also, there is one exception to the taxonomy rule (mainly just because
it's so commonplace): the article about the taxonomy itself can be
within the taxonomy, but it must be specially tagged so that it is
listed at the very beginning of the category.  (for instance,
[[Woman]] must be tagged [[Category:Women| ]] or
[[Category:Women|*]]).

Also, I think all the taxonomy/attribute categories should be under a
single parent category.  So if you started at the top and only went
down, you'd get all the attributes categories, and none of the themes
categories.  If I remember correctly, this even used to be the case.

Meta-attributes should eventually be replaced by a better meta-tagging
system (or moved to the talk page).  Someone was working on a sort of
to-do management system a while ago.  I'm not sure what became of it.
In the mean time, keeping the meta tags under some
[[Category:Meta-Wiki]] should be sufficient to keep them separate.

Anthony